Tuesday, March 25, 2008

Kitchener City Hall, King Street Kichener

Ah Kitchener's City Hall, an interesting structure built back in 1993 as the cornerstone of this fine city's modernization plan. Nearly 15 years later, that modernization plan is just starting to move forward. Gotta love local bureaucracy...

Enough of my rants. Onto the most important room in the entire building, the bathroom.

City Hall boasts quite a nice facility to be honest. It's cleaned regularly, open 24 hours a day, and provides ample urinals and toilets for use. I went to high school nearby and I can honestly say I never encountered a line up or had to wait to use them.

In an attempt to create an ultra modern facility, the city fathers and mothers chose to install automatic flushing toilets and urinals. Unfortunately, they sort of cheaped out. The toilets have a tendency to flush while you're sitting on them. You learn to deal with it, but the first few times, it's quite a surprise.

Also, the toilets and urinals are connected to the building's computer network, allowing maintenance staff to flush the facilities periodically. If you haven't caught my drift yet, I fully endorse any hacker to recreate the October 1993 prank and cause the toilets to randomly flush around the building. *evil grin*

As for the rest of the stations, the sinks are not automated for some reason, instead, the city went with those highly annoying "push the button and get a spurt of water for 5 seconds." Boy, I really hate those things. Soap dispensers provide ample dollops of soap for washing.

The hand dryers are powerful and effective, but I would have rather seen paper towels offered as an alternative option. Perhaps one day it will happen.

A changing station is readily available for babies, which is a nice touch. An even nicer touch is the availability of a private changing room.

All in all, you can't go wrong taking care of business in City Hall. And honestly, it's probably the best public facility going in downtown Kitchener.

B+

No comments: